Monday, April 27, 2009

What The Damaged Aisle Has To Offer

Many stores have small areas or aisles where they display all their broken, chipped and dented items. I make it a point to stop by and check all the items out also keeping one thing in mind-can it be repaired? ? How much work is involved and how much will it cost to make the piece usable again?

Last week I stopped at T.J. Maxx and picked up this little cabinet.


Judging by the amount of dust covering it I suspect it had been sitting there for a long time.  That makes me wonder why.  Do people not see the potential, not have the time or can't imagine how to go about repairing something.  Maybe it's all of the above, but I wasn't going to let this cabinet get away.  Originally priced at $100.00, the price was now reduced to $34.00.  Most of these cabinets are made of MDF wood and are hand painted.  MDF can be sanded or painted with no problems.  This particular cabinet had some chipped paint.




Actually, that's all it needed.  I mixed up some brown and black acrylic paint and touched up the areas.
By the way, old CD's work great as an artist's palette.  Use and threw them out.


When it was all dry I added one of my favorite products, Rub N Buff  (available at Michael's Craft Store, Hobby Lobby) to the edges.  This particular color is metallic gold.  Just adds some detail.


I also added a small shelf in the bottom part so it would be easier to store things inside.



A great bargain, with minimal work in terms of repairs.  End result-like new.
01 02 03
04 05 06
07 08 11 12

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Beautiful cabinet!! I would have picked that up too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job fixing that up! I agree - you'd be surprised what you can find in scratch and dent! :)

    ReplyDelete