Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Finding A Hidden Space


A few years ago I needed a new wall microwave-oven combo.  I noticed when the guys took out the old one, there was a small space above the microwave that someday may become a new challenge for me. 

The time arrived last week and this space became usable.  Here is what I did.
Above is the original cabinet. It is actually a stationary panel that has a great little space behind it.  I started by removing the panel and installing a shelf.  I purchased the wood at Home Depot, cut it to fit and mounted it inside the space. L-brackets work well for this, but with such a small space they were difficult to screw in.  I did manage, but it was not easy.


Below I have placed some of things that I'm storing inside.  Hey, I just love this-a new space that will serve a real purpose.

Look closely and you'll see the magnets that I installed. These keep the cabinet tightly closed when not in use. I've used these magnets before and they really work well.


My next step was to create a new panel for the front.  My idea was to attach 2 brass hinges on the top so the cabinet would open and close easily.  I think you can see them in the photo below. The panel was just a cut piece of wood that was sanded down.  I attached "rope" molding all the way around just to add to it.
Below it the new cabinet stained to match with the addition of a handle that matches the rest of the kitchen cabinets.  It opens easily and I can store flat pans, cookie sheets and cupcake trays in there.  Actually the space has plenty of room because it is very deep.
I must say, a very satisfying project. I'm always looking around for hidden spaces in my home.  Over the years I've managed to find lots of them.  This one is a real treasure.

I wish that when they build houses they would use some "space" intelligence.  That's why we need more woman putting more input into the building of houses.  Every single square foot would make sense.

Christy

01 02 03
04 05 06
07 08 11 12

3 comments:

  1. YOU ARE JUST TOO FREAKIN' CREATIVE! I love it. I get so excited when I see an e-mail from you because I can't wait to see what you will do next. Garage sales have started in my area (NY) and I will keep an eye out for things to alter. Would love to see what you do with your deck/backyard,front entrance, etc. for spring and summer. Thanks for posting!
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! All I can say is Wow! What a great idea - and you did this yourself. This has got to be the best idea I've seen in a long while. Congrats on a job very well done. It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What an amazing transformation.

    I need you to come visit my very small apartment and help me out with the storage and decorating.

    ReplyDelete